Monday, May 30, 2011

Creating Your Own Coat of Arms part III

First, my ‘Thanks!’ to Tulisha Scott for offering corrective insight regarding my Latin terms. With her help I’ve improved my word choice and sharpened the message of my Coat of Arms. I wrote Tulisha,

“I very much appreciate your input. I had just quickly done a google search on ‘Latin word for…’. So your insights are perfect. I think I’ll choose "Constans, Fidelis, Veritas" If I understand correctly, I want the noun for Truth rather than the adjective truthfulness, where as I want the adjectives in the other instances. Truth - ‘what is true’- is the foundational piece rather than ‘being truthful’. The others reflect action on the part of those assigned to this coat of arms and I like that.”

Now for this week’s selection of a center piece or the shield (which sits at the center). I have narrowed it to two possibilities. The first is an open Bible. The verse it is open to is “Go into all the world and make disciples.” The second is a scroll with the Roman numeral “V” on it. The symbol stands for the Torah or the scroll that contains the first five books of the Old Testament.

I like the “Go” passage, because missions and the mission of God has been at the center of our family, and I want that message to continue on to my descendents. However, I like the Torah Scroll since it is the center of all life and the initial launch of the message we “Go” with. So, I’m not yet settled.

Other symbols have come to mind this week which may be incorporated. I like wheat seed scattered on one side to represent the viable nature of the Kingdom of God, and I’d like a pearl on that same side to represent the immeasurable value of the Kingdom of God. There is a sun and a moon in the background to reflect the consistency and dependability of God.

Next week, I’ll share more about the color choices for everything. You be thinking too…what would you want to highlight to your descendants and why?

All material copyrighted by Stephen Meeks